January is National Mentoring Month! The purpose of National Mentoring Month is to raise awareness and to encourage mentoring in communities nationwide. It’s also a resource to encourage teachers, volunteers, coaches, and others who currently work in the community.
Mentoring, also known taking someone under your wing, coaching, assisting etc. is critical for success personally and professionally. Mentoring is not only for youth, a mentor can help adults and seniors to succeed with information, time and resources. Now more than ever, mentors are needed in most every community to volunteer with time and resources for youth programs, job preparation, and literacy programs. Visit the site to find out what you can do to support this worthy cause.
If you’re a business owner, use this month for observances for your organization that focus on mentoring. Ideas include providing general information about opportunities and events in your community. Your organization can participate even if you’re not in the education industry. For example, you don’t have to be a teacher or coach to provide information and create awareness regarding the importance of mentoring and mentoring opportunities that are available. If your company serves people who love working in the community, church members, salons, boutiques etc. If you serve the general public and you have foot traffic, you may be able to provide information.
Use custom t-shirts and promotional items for your observance. Use t-shirts and awards to recognize volunteers, t-shirts are an excellent way to spread the word about your promotion and magnets are great customer reminders of mentoring organizations and opportunities to participate.
Here are 10 THINGS TO DO IN JANUARY*
from the National Mentoring Month website
1. Learn more about mentoring and become a mentor in your community.
2. Join “I Am a Mentor” Day on January 9 and share your experience on social media using #SomeoneWhoMatters.
3. Partner with a mentoring organization to expand quality mentoring opportunities for young people in your community.
4. Share stories about mentoring in your community on social media using #MentoringWorks!
5. Thank your mentor on January 16, during “Thank Your Mentor Day!” Think about the mentors in your life, send them a thank you card and tell them thank you on social media using #SomeoneWhoMatters.
6. Read the latest research and find resources on mentoring.
7. Serve your community on MLK Day of Service, January 20, by looking for a mentoring opportunity in your area.
8. Make a donation to a mentoring organization in your community.
9. Download and use all of the National Mentoring Month marketing and video materials to raise awareness and recruit volunteers.
10. Explore ways to help children succeed academically through mentoring.
Connect With Us!
If you like our posts, please use the social media buttons on our pages to follow us and share our content! Tell us about an upcoming event and we’ll be happy to answer your questions, with ideas for your next campaign.
We work with groups, teams and organizations of all sizes on marketing for business and social events. You can always check our Current Specials here and on Facebook.
We offer sponsored links from our affiliates (like Amazon and CafePress) to help offset the cost of running our business. Our aim is to provide quality sponsors that will provide information that is relevant and useful for our readers.